REUSE RECYCLE DISPOSE WELL
UK wide, an estimated 2.5bn takeaway coffee cups are used and thrown away each year. The WHAT Coffee Cup Challenge aims to reduce the thousands of cups discarded in our own area every day by promoting re-usable cups.
Positive national developments have followed since we launched our local Challenge in 2017. Waitrose, for example removed all takeaway disposable coffee cups from its shops in Autumn 2018. Costa Coffee plans to recycle “at least 100 million coffee cups this year” and up to 500 million a year by 2020. Veolia (Camden’s refuse and recycling contractor) offers a coffee cup collection and recycling service, including in-house recycling bins.
WHAT’s Local initiatives
We are campaigning across West Hampstead and gaining support for the Challenge from local coffee shops and hot drinks providers. Camden Council is supporting the Challenge; it is promoting re-usable cups in their Kings Cross offices as one of their early initiatives.
WHAT hopes to see a network of special bins set up locally, to collect cups used by ‘on the move’ drinkers for specialist recycling. We’ll be talking to Camden Council, Veolia and potential locations such as our three stations. We’ll also encourage local offices to use specialist recycling facilities for the many cups that are thrown away by staff and customers.
What can you do?
- Ask for a ceramic cup when you sit down to drink
- Get a re-usable cup and remember to carry it – ask for a discount
- Encourage others to do the same – in offices and around the community
- Check what recycling is available in local cafes or elsewhere
- Use a general bin for single use cups if recycling bins aren’t available
What can cafés and shops do?
- Encourage customers to bring their own re-usable cups
- Give a discount when they use them
- Offer re-usable cups for sale
- Use only ceramic cups for ‘sit down’ drinks
- Install a specialist recycling bin for disposable cups
- Tell customers how to dispose of non-recyclable cups –not in standard recycling bins
Participating cafés and shops in West Hampstead: Caffè Nero, Costa Coffee, Gail’s Bakery, Little Waitrose, Lola’s Bakery, Sherriff Centre café, Starbucks.
Here’s our guide to the deals on offer at each coffee shop (pdf) including where to get re-usable cups and discounts and find recycling facilities
This is the Coffee Cup Map (links to Camden website)
Supported by the London Borough of Camden and Veolia